Friday, March 6, 2009

The Runner



What it is:
The Runner is a first-class Navy scout vessel designed for deep-space reconnaissance. It is equipped with basic defense weaponry, and is built mainly for stealth and speed. The large forward command bridge is designed to house multiple surveillance teams. It is equipped with Gravity Manipulators on the bottom of the fuselage and the wings.

How I did it:
Making this was relatively simple, though time consuming. I downloaded a sphere from the Google warehouse and used the scale tool to make it the size I wanted. Then, I built a rectangle to match the size of the sphere. To create the round upper layer of the fuselage, I drew lines from the midpoints of the sides of the main rectangle and matched a hemisphere to the upper half of each side, then used the Push/pull tool to extend the hemispheres to the length of the rectangle. To make the bridge from the rectangle to the sphere, I used a similar method, splitting the front side of the fuselage into a grid using the midpoints. I then drew a circle using the midpoint lines as guides. After, I erased the midpoint lines and extended the circle to stretch into the sphere. The wings were originally just rectangles I drew on the sides (using midpoint lines as guides so each side was symmetrical). I stretched them out and then, using the move tool, selected the line farthest from the fuselage (on the top) and dragged it down to make a trianngular wing. the bottom Gravity Manipulators were made by, once again, making midpoint lines to serve as guides.
The front window glass was the biggest challenge. I fiddled with it for some time before Mr. Champney gave me the idea to create a rectangle with a curve on one surface. This would allow me to use the "Push/Pull tool" to erase a smooth curve, and make a peice of glass with only one curved side. I moved this to intersect the Sphere and colored it a translucent blue from one of the color menus.
Finally, I made the barrels for the defense weaponry. These were just cylinders I lined up using the "Move tool" and the "Lock to Axis" Command. I drew a ring on the front faces of the cylinders and pushed the rings in using the "Push/Pull tool" to create the inside of the barrel. Coloring them in different shades gave a look of depth. To make the actual turret itself, I used a circle, a perpendicular arc, and the follow me command.

No comments:

Post a Comment