Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Walled City



This is the entire walled town as of Tuesday morning. I exported the picture on the left with the shadows on. Probably about 12 hours worth of work. I do plan on continuing to add details over the next couple of weeks, but I thought I'd show how it looks right now, and detail the process.


On left Picture of front gate on right Picture along the castle wall from one of the towers.

The Process


This round tower was the starting place for what turned into a much larger model. I started with three intersecting circles and then erased the lines of the outer circles that were contained in the inner circle. I then used the push pull tool to raise the circles into cylinders. In order to get the two outer "towers" at the same height I stretched the dotted push/pull tool line out to the first outer tower height until it turned blue (indicating they were at the same level). The process for creating the embrasures (the openings in the top of the wall) was: 1. draw a circle within the top of the tower/cylinder. 2. Use the push/pull tool to lower the height of the tower floor. 3. Draw lines from the edge of the inner circle at the tower top to the outer circle. 4. Pull up every other individual segment to the same height. Again used the blue dotted line as my reference pt. The image to the right shows the basic process for creating the walls/towers and embrasures.

Each section of wall had to be rotated using the rotate tool to match up with the next section and create the outer enclosure of the walled town.

Once the wall was completely created I created the battlements by dropping down a rectangle on each section of wall - again making each section at the same height. I made one basic house and then copied a pasted it into different positions, creating extra additions on some houses, raising the roof of others and resizing others, to give the town a somewhat haphazard look.

Each section of wall was filled using the "stone course rough" pattern under. The buildings inside the walls were all filled with "stucco", the roofs filled "with roofing shingles multi", each of the walkways were filled using "wood floor dark". Eventually I will add more details to the houses, like doors, windows etc.

I drew the moat using the free hand pencil tool.

I plan on continuing this project over the next month. I'll post more details as I go.

1 comment:

  1. When you described this to me in person the other day, it was difficult for me to imagine. Now that I see what you've done with it, though, it's very cool! My favorite things are the way realistic textures were used on different surfaces and the use of shadows.

    ReplyDelete