Sunday, February 1, 2009

RP-119


This is a picture I did of a barren, rusty planet similar to mars. I used layers on this picture quite a bit so that I wouldn't end up overlapping smudges and objects. The stars were made very simply...with a very small brush. Some of the stars (the ones that appear to be different colors) were actually a custom brush I made of a separate image I created by zooming in and creating a white circle with blue or orange pixels on the inside. The planet itself I did by creating a red circle, selecting it, adding HSV noise, blurring (both options are found on the filters menu), and then adding various details (like faded circles and the little dried rivers) and then smudging it all thouroughly. The edges are smudged as well to create a more 3-d look. The dark side is created with the use of the airbrush tool and the "Fuzzy circle." That really transforms the image by creating an extended shadow and three dimentional fade. On a layer between the stars and the planet I sprayed in some dust clouds that can be faintly seen around the planet, especially on the dark side (smudge tool used gratuitously). Finally, I added a lighting effect to the layer containing the planet. This option is really fun and really easy; it can be found in the filters menu under Light and shadow--->lighting effects.

7 comments:

  1. Excellent explanation of your process Marty. A very different approach from what most people have been doing. Using layers, the custom brush and filters. Really nice attention to detail. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how 3-d this image is. This was the effect I was trying to get on one of my landscapes and I couldn't figure it out but this looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep going back to this one Marty. The planet really has a sheen to it that makes it look like a rock that came out of a rock tumbler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you shading effect. It blends in really well with the rest of the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic; a perfect sphere. Outstanding shading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I love the starkness of this,and the subtlety of space. Mrs. Grover

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martin, This is fantastic. It looks so real! Mrs. Lammert

    ReplyDelete