Monday, February 2, 2009



This is a picture of a city at night. I started out doing my layers ranging from black to different shades of blue. To create the sky I just smudged the shades into eachother. I also used the blurring tool to blend the different colors of the sky into eachother. I made the stars by blurring dots of white and then made the moon by using the smudging tool and adding gray to the white. I like using the smudging tool because it makes things blend instead of making them look like cookie cutter lines. So I usually smudge the edges of everything. When I was working on this I found a lot of new tools. Like someone in the class showed me how to make straight lines by just using the shift key. That new tip helped me create straight lines for the buildings. Then I found out how to clone things so I didn't have to keep making each individual window. So I used the rectangle select tool to select the part I wanted to copy and then copy and pasted it. It made making the windows a lot easier.

7 comments:

  1. Georgia i think this is beautiful. I really like the little person that you added, it made it so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgia, this looks absolutely wonderful! I really like how you made your buildings and the sky have depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgia this would really make a beautiful silkscreen print. I wish we had the tools to do silk-screening. It really shows the possibilities of working with a limited color pallet and making something that is beautiful. It's simple, but a nice depiction of city life. I could get all artsy and comment that this work shows the impersonal aspect of the apt. buildings and city life with the one person in the window bringing life. This is definitely a way of designing that deserves pursuing. All sorts of possibilities for graphic design.

    You did a nice job explaining your process as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THE STICK FIGURE IN THE WINDOW! That made me laugh so hard when I first looked at it, I have no idea of as to why, but it's a lot like comic relief, y'know? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the buildings and the lighting, plus the guy in the window...that really made this complete haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this would be a great piece for a children's book; a very stylized city skyline. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the very rigid cityscape in counterpoint to that soft moon - and the one soft element inside the buildings. The sky is beautiful. Mrs. Grover

    ReplyDelete